Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Let the PEONIES begin!!!!!

So our busiest, craziest time of the year has started. We begin by debbuding the peonies. I have been busy the last two weeks doing that. I think that it is pretty much done.....now we just wait for them to start popping. I have decided that my height is a great advantage for this job but I could almost be a few inches shorter(oh dear - did I actually say that!!!!) Anyway I think my back is in condition now to start the picking which should begin by maybe middle of next week-then I really will be busy...I will try to take pictures and post them as I go but peonies are the most intense season and I(well my family) just try to stay sane!! :) It is all good...the whole time I just tell myself it only last about 6 weeks and there is an end!! We will probably pick somewhere between 20,00-40,00 peonies---depending on how they sell this year...should be interesting with this economy...flowers are a luxury in my opinion and I wouldn't buy them....we will see:) The crop looks great anyway!!

This is what the peonies looks like before debudding. See all the little buds around the edge...we take all of them off therefore giving all the energy of the plant to the main bud...it gets bigger and stronger. For those of you that have them in your yard it also helps with them falling over..some varities are worse than others at that but this help...It make the plant heathier and I think look prettier.

Here is the finished product..yes it has to be done by hand totally to every plant...some plants have upwards of 25-40 flowers on them. It is worth it though and has to be done to sell wholesale.


The fields really do look great and they have grown so much even since I have taken these pictures. I think we are ready to roll!!!!!!

1 comment:

Mary T. said...

You are oh soooo flower savy!! I think my 'flower' garden could use your expertise!!! We are WELCOMING and looking forward to your VISIT!! Your field looks beautiful!!! Nice WORK!!!